During World War Two a group of people from the Gorseinon area got together and formed a Committee to raise money for the Servicemen & Women of Gorseinon who were returning home from this war.
The money was paid out in the form of a grant and the sum of £800 was surplus, so the Committee decided to purchase a clock in the memory of those servicemen and women from the Gorseinon area who lost their lives during this war. In 1955 the clock was installed in the old Council Offices, overlooking the Bus Station in West Street, Gorseinon and then the Committee was disbanded.
Llwchwr U.D.C. maintained the clock and its bells but, unfortunately, Lliw Valley Council did not undertake this task and for over 25 years it stayed silent. The Gorseinon Town Council took on the responsibility of restoring the clock bells, which ring out on the half hour and the hour to the sound of the Westminster Chimes - it will be silenced at midnight and resume again at 7 am.
Gorseinon Town Council hope that the people of Gorseinon and District are pleased that the clock has been put back to its former glory once again.
Cllr Malcolm Curtice