Gorseinon Town Council comprises fifteen unpaid volunteers, elected every four years, by the 6500 voters
living in the Communities of Gorseinon and Penyrheol.
The Town Council developed from the former Gorseinon Community Council in 1998, since when it has been able to annually appoint a Town Mayor.
Town Council Initiatives
Key Town Council initiatives for 2017/18 include:
- The development of a Town Plan for Gorseinon to establish a Blue Print for its future development and growth.
- Promoting the newly acquired Ty Newydd Community centre,17 West street, as a focus for community activities.
- Setting up and developing a new interactive Gorseinon Town Council Website to act as a focus for community discussion and debate.
- Annual Newsletter distributed to all households within the Community for public information.
- Input into the Gorseinon Regeneration Action Plan run by the Gorseinon Development Trust.
- Partnership in the £0.5m redevelopment of the Gorseinon Bus Station site, completed in 2008.
- Environmental initiatives such as hanging baskets/floral displays and bulb planting within the community. If your street has an environmental project, please get in touch.
- Parks and Recreation grounds- meetings held on setting up parks committees , and continual purchase of keep fit equipment for Parc y Werin to be phased in.
- Opening the soon to be built for new Skateboard facility for youngsters within the community at Parc Melyn Mynach by Easter 2017.
- Commenting on planning applications and issues within the community.
- Coordinating physical improvements to the local park at Argyll Gardens.
- Extending CCTV camera coverage within the Town Centre.
- Police and school liaison and support.
- Exploring the setting up of a Youth Council within the Town Council to represent the views of the younger generation.
- Coordination of Christmas lights and organising the annual Lantern Parade with our partners, involving up to 5000 people.
- Sponsorship of Summer activities at Penyrheol Leisure Centre and promotion/support for community based initiatives within the Town.
- Funding and sponsorship of local groups and clubs, culminating in an awards presentation evening every February. If your group needs support or wants to promote its activities, get in touch to use the Website to promote your activities.Acknowledging local residents who reach 90 years of age, or residents who make significant contributions in the community and presentation of medallions to them by the Town Mayor.
- Supporting historical, cultural and sporting initiatives within the community.
- Maintaining local seats and notice boards.
We hope you enjoy looking at the Website, which is meant to be a sounding board for community activity and comment. If you wish to contribute in any way, and have an article of local interest to the residents of Gorseinon, Penyrheol and the surrounding areas then please contact the Clerk, John Millard on: telephone 01792 895690 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or any of the local Town Councillors.